U. S. Steel will welcome a Data Scientist in its ranks to develop scalable Python-based applications that will improve process efficiencies and plant operations in line with the overarching strategic and tactical objectives of the company.
As a Data Scientist in U. S. Steel, you will collaborate with internal business partners to implement data-driven solutions with measurable business value. You will work with other data scientists, software developers and project managers on multiple projects, using mathematics, statistics, and machine learning to retrieve structure and knowledge from raw data. You will work at a cross section of machine learning and analytic processes to develop solutions that will improve efficiency and drive revenue.
Duties and responsibilities
• Build on statistical models for data analysis of manufacturing processes by facilitating automation, performing parameter optimization and machine learning model re-training, including a setup and maintenance of back-end infrastructure to facilitate its ongoing operation, both on-premises as well as on the cloud
• Develop and deploy predictive and prescriptive analytic solutions in R/Python, in teams adopting Agile Software Development methodology
• Develop analytics to address customer needs and opportunities
• Process, cleanse, and verify the integrity of the data used for analysis
• Enhance data collection procedures to include information that is relevant for building analytic systems
• Perform rapid ad-hoc analysis and present results in a clear manner starting with structured or unstructured datasets
• Keep up to date with latest technology trends
• University degree in Computer Science, Information Systems or related discipline (including Statistics, Data Science, Mathematics, Engineering) with 2-3 years of prior equivalent work experience in data analysis instead of an advanced degree
• Proficiency in designing, conducting, and interpreting statistical analyses using common statistical software tools (e.g., R, Python, etc.) and techniques (e.g., regression modeling, survival analysis, machine learning, etc.) with proven / demonstrable experience
• Experience with big-data analysis built upon structured (SQL / Oracle) and unstructured (data lakes / Hadoop) file systems will be a plus
• Expertise in leveraging statistics, machine learning algorithms, and advanced mathematics to solve engineering problems
• Demonstrated skill in the use of one or more analytic, visualization, and data querying software tools or languages
• Demonstrated skill in data cleansing, data quality assessment, data visualization and storytelling for stakeholders
• Experience working well within deadlines in a team environment as well as independently, think creatively, and solve problems with a strong attention to detail on multiple projects simultaneously utilizing strong organizational, project, process, and time management skills
• Motivation to achieve results in a fast-paced environment
• Excellent written and oral communication skills, including an ability to communicate across business areas and with global teams
• Self-starting, fast learner
• Upper intermediate (B2) English
• Understanding relevant statistical measures such as confidence intervals, significance of error measurements, development and evaluation data sets, etc.
• Industry experience is desirable, but not essential
We offer: U. S. Steel is committed to creating rewarding work environments. As an employee, you will have the opportunity to participate in several of our competitive programs, including: • A Total Rewards package with competitive salaries and benefits with incentive opportunities for all employees: - Competitive salary starting from 2500 EUR gross, depending on relevant experience - 13th and 14th salary or yearly bonus program - Variable wage payment - Subsidy for additional pension insurance (The 3rd pension pillar). - Benefit for culture and sport (RELAXPASS vouchers) - Award for employees who considerably participate in the results achieved by the company • A focus on career growth and employee development that will establish not just a job, but a career. • Ongoing training and education to enhance your career opportunities • Flexible or modified working time • Home office • Participation in company activities organized by USSK • Paid time off on significant life occasio